Thursday, June 21, 2007

Canterbury

Greetings from Canterbury!

Well, Dover too, but mostly Canterbury. I walked around London yesterday and saw Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Both were breathtaking, but the abbey gave me chills. Looking at the chair that all of the kings were coronated in since the 1200's, I couldn't help but wonder "How can this be?". I had to rush though because I had to catch a bus to Dover - where I thought the hostel was.

For the record, the train lady steered me in the wrong direction...

I stayed on the coach all the way until Dover (which is past Canterbury) and ended up at a bus stop in the middle of a dead town at 10:30. Luckily a girl I met during the ride let me use her phone to call up the hostel to find out that it's in Canterbury. On Old Dover Road. In Canterbury. Confusing? Yes.

So the man at the hostel told me he'd keep it open just for me (the English hospitality is not a myth). The only problem was that I had to find the hostel. So I wandered around for a short while until I stumbled across some girls who were luckily headed in my direction. They led me to the hostel safe and sound.

The hostel was much more nice than the one in London. It has a beautiful dining area and garden and a private bathroom. I had the entire dormitory to myself for £15.

Today I walked around Canterbury and stumbled into a neat little cafe called "Coffee and Corks" where I met the nicest lady named Sue and her daughter Claire (who are letting me use their laptop - again with the hospitality!). They gave me a lot of travel tips and I hope to stop back in again on my way out to say hello.

Tonight I'll be going to the Canterbury Cathedral for Evensong (it's free then) and then out for dinner and a drink. Sue recommended me to "The Dolphin" - an independent joint with cheap (and good) food.

Tomorrow night I might go to a Nick Drake tribute concert at a local music club and then travel through the night to France - or perhaps spend another night here. I really do like Canterbury - it's charming. Sue told me that London is not England and I think she's right. London was busy and noisy but Canterbury is relaxing and full of history - the way I hoped it would be.

3 comments:

Richard said...

Lovely to hear you enjoyed your visit to Canterbury Ryan. It might interest you to know that, 2 years after your visit, "Coffee & Corks" is still offering hot drinks and comfy sofas.

In fact, I've just made a radio feature for the BBC, all about "Coffee & Corks", wherein Sue talks in the usual relaxed and friendly approach with which she greets all her customers. Yourself included from the sound of things.

The feature can be heard on the link below. Hope it brings back some happy memories.

http://webakestuff.co.uk/blog/2009/08/bbc-radio-kent-ep3-coffee-and-corks/

peeley said...

m1g52n3m96 f8h03p0u41 l2p11w2v13 g4b10i6r45 n3h68y9z92 s4p98g0x37

letewhay said...

f6z89a6h64 q9i17q3c97 u3n67v2d65 c3q28r1e48 t5w04b9x51 b4p78h1j33