Friday, July 20, 2007

Grindelwald Continued

Well, I've spent two days here and it is absolutely the best place I have been to. Most people here are tourists, and those that aren't keep to themselves, but I am not here to socialize. I haven't felt the need to really make friends here. The mountains and the scenery are enough to keep me happy.

Every Wednesday night there is apparently a street festival here in Grindelwald. All the bars, stores and shops stay open to accomodate all the locals and tourists who flood the streets looking for a good time. It's pretty tame - it started off with a girl's dance team doing a few numbers for Jazzercise (no joke), but then it started to rain to all the action moved under canopies.

At one end of the street were the local Swiss performers. They had a quartet playing accordions and bass, as well as a horn group. They played music while the locals enjoyed Jägerkaffee (cherry liqour and dark, hot coffee brewed from a kettle) and Chäsbrätel(bread with melted Swiss Cheese on top). Both were very good.

After listening to the local music for a while I bought some authentic Swiss Cheese (Muschitel, or something like that) and some dried sausage.

I found my way down to the other end of the street where a local band was covering classic rock. They were pretty good for a cover band. I met up with two American guys I had met earlier that day and we pretty much chilled around the bar/stage for the rest of the night.

Today I went to a canyon with a river running through it. I don't remember the exact name, but it's something German and hard to pronounce. I went with a guy I met named Peter who had the same idea I did about going to see it. It was really awesome - it seemed right out of Lord of the Rings. After walking through the canyon, we both had coffee at the cafe outside and talked about how we missed home. Peter has five kids back in Australia, so it was interesting to meet someone who actually missed their kids instead of their parents.

For the rest of the day I have been organizing my pack, schedueling my trip, eating on and off, and just tidying up some loose ends with post cards and such.

Sorry for the lack of interesting stories in this post. It's almost two and the hostel if full of incredibly loud, drunk Germans. The internet is not free at the next place so I don't want to get behind.

Off to Munich tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan - Your pictures and commentary are soooooGREAT! I truly look forward to reading it. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you. What an incredible adventue! Be safe and keep those pictures coming. WE love you and miss you. Mary Rose and David

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,
We knew you would just love Switzerland! Sleeping with the windows wide open with a light down comforter on top of you brings back such wonderful memories. There are absolutely NO flies in that country!
Hope you get to Austria while you're so close. Also, don't forget to try and get to Hitler's Hideaway while you're in Germany. It is amazing and worth the trip to get there.